Friday, September 7, 2012

Unacceptable Things: Special K Commercials


Dear Kellogg's,

Your recent Special K commercial - you know, this one - gets so close to having a great message. "Wouldn't it be nice if we focused less on the number, and more on how the fit makes us feel?"

Yes. Yes, that would be really nice. And the imagery you've got going there, with "Radiant" and "Sassy" and "Va-va-voom" and "Ooh-la-la" and "Confident" instead of size numbers, is pretty good. When I see that part of the commercial, I think to myself, "Self, this might actually be a product I can get behind! A product that emphasizes actual health instead of obsession over numbers!"

And then the rest of the commercial happens. "Take the Special K challenge, and slip into size Sassy in two weeks!"

Damn. So close… and yet so far.

I guess "Sassy" just means 4 or 2 or whatever-one-size-down-from-the-viewer's-current-size-might-be-even-if-that's-00.

(This is not even mentioning the ridiculousness that is the "Special K challenge" - am I the only person who gets hungry just thinking about the idea of eating just a bowl of cereal for two meals every day for two weeks? I am not a very pleasant person when I'm hungry. So let's just hope I don't ever decide to take this challenge - chances of that actually happening are slim to none, but strange things do occur - when I need to be around people and act like a normal, friendly human being. Because that won't happen; I'll just be hangry for two weeks.)

Seriously, Kellogg's, this is just not acceptable.

Disappointedly,
Katherine

PS - You want to know a company that, at the very least, seems like they want their customers to feel good about themselves? Lane Bryant. Where they don't tell ladies, "It's just about how you feel in the clothes, not the number on the tag! But you should go ahead and drop a size anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment